On the Issues
and fighting for a better future.
As House Democratic Leader, Representative Fentrice Driskell is defending our freedoms from extremist attacks and advocating for a healthier, safer, and more prosperous future for all of us.
The Freedom to Be Healthy
Floridians deserve lower costs for quality healthcare. Florida is one of just 11 states that hasn’t expanded Medicaid since the Affordable Care Act passed in 2010.
Leader Driskell is fighting for Medicaid expansion and advocating for:
- Lower prescription drug costs for seniors
- Lower health insurance costs for all Floridians
- Access to reproductive and sexual healthcare
The Freedom to Be Prosperous
Low-income, working-class, and middle class Floridians are ALL struggling right now. Rents are skyrocketing, and property insurance costs have made the American Dream of homeownership burdensome–or simply out of reach–for far too many. In the more than two decades they’ve controlled Tallahassee, Republicans have done plenty to help giant multinational corporations while ignoring the challenges we face.
That’s why Leader Driskell is fighting for:
- Property insurance relief for homeowners–not bailouts for corporations
- Increased funding for housing affordability programs
- Freedom for local governments to address housing shortages and rising costs
- Investing in Florida’s small businesses and entrepreneurs by expanding access to capital
- Lower taxes and fees for lower and middle-income Floridians
The Freedom to Be Safe
Across Florida, residents are worried about rising crime and a startling increase in gun violence. And right now, Republicans want to make it legal for Floridians to carry a gun without any permit, background check, or training.
Leader Driskell is fighting back by:
- Supporting universal background checks for gun purchases while respecting the rights of responsible gun owners
- Strengthening the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Safety Act, Florida’s bipartisan gun and school safety law that passed after the mass shooting in Parkland
- Working with law enforcement and leaders from both sides of the aisle to strengthen trust between police officers and communities
- Building a resilient future so that every Floridian is safe and protected in the face of natural disasters and climate change
Freedom from Discrimination
Leader Driskell has led the fight against extremist attacks on women, minorities, and the LGBTQ+ community.
She’s committed to:
- Rolling back Florida’s harmful and deeply unpopular abortion ban that provides no exception for victims of rape, incest, or human trafficking
- Fighting for the right for our kids to receive accurate teaching of our shared history, including Black history
- Protecting the rights and freedoms of all LGBTQ+ Floridians
- Protecting the right to vote without intimidation or roadblocks from the government
Property insurance rates continue to skyrocket, making housing even less affordable for Florida families. And instead of taking action during a special session last year, the Florida GOP put in place stop-gap measures that help insurance companies instead of Floridians.
That’s why I introduced a bill that will provide real property insurance relief for Florida families and establish a Property Insurance Commission to continue to monitor the property insurance crisis and ensure that we’re doing all we can to lower costs and make housing affordable.
Florida students deserve the best education our state can offer, and Florida parents deserve to feel like they can make informed choices when it comes to their children’s education.
HB 1629 creates transparency requirements for voucher schools, requiring them to disclose policies like dress codes, compliance with religious tenets, and any rules relating to gender identity or sexuality.
These changes will help parents make informed decisions about their children’s education and ensure that our children have the opportunity to feel safe, welcome, and supported in school.
For years, Floridians have watched our housing costs go through the roof. And for years, GOP lawmakers have ignored calls to take action to combat the affordability crisis in our state.
So, we’re taking matters into our own hands and introducing legislation that empowers communities to tackle the affordability crisis at the local level and gives the Florida Housing Finance Corporation tools to encourage affordable housing construction.
Florida is one of less than a dozen states who have not accepted federal money to expand Medicaid — and it’s putting Floridians’ health, safety, and livelihoods at risk.
But it doesn’t need to be this way.
We need to expand access to affordable healthcare and ensure that Floridians aren’t bankrupted by seeking lifesaving treatments. This bill would expand Medicaid eligibility, help low-income families afford the care they need, and take advantage of federal money to save lives in Florida.
Small businesses are the backbone of Florida’s economy, and we need to do all we can to empower small business owners and support small businesses in our communities.
This bill would establish a Small Business Investment Corporation to promote small businesses across Florida and help families achieve their dream of building a business here in our state.
The gun violence epidemic is out of control, and the Florida GOP has refused point blank to take any action to keep our communities safe.
This bill includes common-sense measures to reduce gun violence, including universal background checks, safe storage laws, and other proven, popular policies to keep guns out of the hands of those who threaten public safety and put lives at risk.